One of my favourite parts of the festive season is the sound of Christmas cheer being spread. In stores, at work, in churches and on street corners, carols and Christmas classics are literally everywhere at this time of year and it’s brilliant!
As we’re in the final countdown and even the Scroogiest amongst us are finally surrendering to the cheerfest I thought I’d share the albums and artists that get me in the holiday spirit year after year!
- Album: Christmas Through Your Eyes by Gloria Estefan – For as long as I can remember, every year when we pulled out the Christmas CDs this was the one that had to be played first. A mix of Christmas classics and new favourites you’ll be tapping your feet by the end of the first song and singing along by the last.
- Album: Christmas by Michael Bublé – I’m not normally a smooth jazz fan but there’s no denying this album has quickly become a festive favourite.
- Album: Christmas Portrait by The Carpenters – to this day, this album is the one that sets the tone for my family Christmas. I can remember being a little kid and sitting (impatiently) at the top of my stairs, waiting for the okay to go downstairs and find out what Santa had left beneath the tree. My dad always went downstairs before us and the first thing he did was put this CD on (after putting the coffee on for himself and my mom….like every other kid in the world, my sister and I were early risers on Christmas!)
- Song: White Christmas by Bing Crosby – there is nothing in the world that will make you feel more Christmassy than Bing serenading you with his wish for a white Christmas…
- Song: The Christmas Song by Nat King Cole – …except maybe this one.! Whenever I hear this song I think of being snuggled up in front of a roaring fire watching the snowflakes settle outside.
- Album: Movie Soundtracks for White Christmas, Love Actually, The Holiday – I love a soundtrack in the first place (a chance to relive your favourite movies anytime, anywhere while not even staring at a screen!) but a Christmas soundtrack? A million times better! These three are particular gems with a mix of holiday hits, mainstream chart toppers and orchestral beauties.
- Song: Blue Christmas by Elvis – how is it that such a mournful tune could also be so merry and bright? There’s a reason this classic from the King is played year after year.
- Song: All I Want for Christmas is You by Mariah Carey – by the time the last of the initial bars of this classic have rung out most of us have already reached to turn up the volume. Fun and still fresh after years and years of replays this one always tops the favourites list.
- Song(s): Any Christmas carol sung at top volume by a group of people united in common joy and celebration. Enthusiasm wins out over being in tune every time!
Whatever provides the soundtrack to your holiday season, I hope you take a moment to stop, sing along and embrace the spirit of Christmas this year.