Though it may not seem like it at the moment (given the current state of the world) there are actually a ton of reasons for each and every one of us to be happy right now!
As it’s the start of a new week, I thought I’d take the opportunity to stop for a moment and have a think about all the little things I have to be happy about in my life. Beyond the basics (a steady job, a roof over my head, a supportive circle of friends and family, etc.) I’m also feeling really happy about…
- After a weekend of total relaxation I’m feeling completely refreshed. I finished two books, got completely caught up on The Crown on Netflix (have you watched it? The costumes and settings are absolutely gorgeous and I’ve had a grand time theorising about what’s fact and fiction!), had a terrific nap on Saturday and ate my weight in freshly popped popcorn.
- I’m currently sat inside in the warm with a hot cup of tea (I’ve acclimatised well to the British way of life) looking out at a very grey day…and loving the cosy feeling of knowing I don’t need to head outside any time soon!
- As the days get colder I’ve been pulling out my winter wear and rediscovering favourite scarves and hats that have been tucked away for months just waiting for this moment. I’m all about the winter layers – the more the merrier! – because there’s nothing quite like the feeling of being bundled up in the cosiest of accessories with the crisp winter air tickling just your nose (because that’s all that’s exposed!)
- My Instagram feed has never been more gorgeous! Everyone I follow seems to be making the most of the autumn weather no matter where they are in the world, posting countless photos of colours and foliage. As we don’t tend to get too much variety in colour here in London it’s fabulous to be able to live vicariously through the talented photogenic eyes of my online inspirations.
- Two books I’ve long been awaiting are finally available and will be arriving in my mailbox any day! Inspector John Rebus is back in Rather Be the Devil by the incomparable Ian Rankin. I’ve read all of the Rebus novels and had the pleasure of meeting the author a few years ago which was a real fangirl moment (for me, I assume it was more run of the mill for him!). His books are the perfect mix of drama, danger, suspense and intrigue. If you haven’t given them a go why not start now?From the moment the first Pitch Perfect came out and I started following Anna Kendrick on Twitter I’ve been anticipating her getting a book deal and it’s finally happened. Considering she’s absolutely hilarious and I read (and loved) the autobiographies of people like Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, Amy Schumer, Mindy Kaling and Miranda Hart I can NOT wait to see what Anna has in store with Scrappy Little Nobody.
- Friday marks the premier of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. I (along with two of my fellow Harry Potter obsessed friends) already have tickets and am counting down the days! I’m so intrigued to see a story set in Harry’s world but with an entirely new cast, location and time period.
- Though the early darkness isn’t entirely welcome it has been producing some pretty spectacular sunsets over London for the past couple of weeks. The mix of colours is absolutely gorgeous and completely captivating. Plus there are few things as calming as watching the sun slowly sink below the horizon.
- One of my oldest friends is coming in to town next week and we already have plans for an afternoon tea at Sketch, some holiday shopping and a day trip to beautiful Bath.
- After a vast and varied search I’ve finally found the perfect over-the-knee boots for fall and winter – and they’re a complete steal!
- Christmas is coming! The lights have gone up in central London and M&S, John Lewis, Waitrose are battling it out for best Christmas ad. (My vote is for M&S’s Mrs Clause adventure) Though I haven’t officially started decking the halls or filling the house with sounds of Christmas carols it’s only a matter of days because I’m in the mood to go all out and embrace the festive feeling!
Making this list has left me feeling much cheerier about life already – I’d highly recommend you consider following suit and making the most of the fresh start that this Monday brings.
You can make anything of the week ahead so take a moment for yourself and think about what’s making you happy right now…and don’t be afraid to share it with the rest of us in the comments below!